Friday, June 17, 2011

Stories from Vietnam

I'm just back from another trip to Vietnam. It is where I have our unique designs made into reality, by the wonderfully talented ladies that I work with.

I'm always asked about what I do, and how I do it, so I thought I'd share a little bit in the next few blogs.

Choosing fabric.

I like to use silk. Why? Because using it honours and continues a dying craft. It is cultivated, dyed, handloomed and so much a part of the Vietnamese heritage. When Thu and I visit the wholesale silk markets, this is what I'm faced with in every direction:


I'm good for about 50 minutes in these teeny tiny stalls, especially when the temperature is 35C and 100% humidity! It never fails that I want to see the silk colour that is under at least 10 other rolls. I start feeling overwhelmed and if I don't have a good list with me, I lose track.

Oh, and did I mention that we have to wait until after lunch before we go to the markets? Because I'm collecting metre samples the stallholders don't want me to jinx their sales for the day.

Which one did I choose for Summer? Stay tuned ...

No comments: